Workshops & Webinars
The Medical Education Scholarship Centre and the Office of Professional Development delivers workshops/seminars to faculty members to help improve their teaching, research, and administration skills. These educational sessions are informed by ongoing assessment of the learning needs of faculty in these areas.
- Monday, September 24, 2018
- Thursday, September 27, 2018
- Wednesday, October 17, 2018
- Tuesday, November 27, 2018
- Tuesday, November 27, 2018
- Wednesday, November 28, 2018
Medical Education Rounds
Medical Education Rounds bring together faculty members interested in innovations and research in medical education for presentations on a variety of subjects of interest. The Medical Education Rounds will be offered through existing discipline rounds and archived for viewing at your leisure.
On-Demand Faculty Development
The Medical Education Scholarship Centre and the Office of Professional Development are able to provide resources, workshops, seminars and consultations on a variety of topics by request.
Webcast Faculty Development Seminar Archives
Webcast Audio Seminar archives of The International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE) are now available online for free. The Webcast Audio Seminar archives are located on the IAMSE website under the Events heading as Web Seminars. Here, you will be able to search the archives or browse by year and series. Every series is available publicly one year after the series originally began.
Teaching Tips are brief, concise summaries that describe useful ideas and practical methods for effective teaching in medical education settings. Medical educators will find these Teaching Tips helpful for answering questions and learning about different approaches and techniques for teaching in medical education.
- Characteristics of a Good Clinic Card
- Faculty Evaluation at the FoM
- Lecturing 101
- Models of Office-based and Bedside Teaching
- Qualitative Research in Medical Education
- Writing Multiple-Choice Questions 101
- Writing Objectives for Academic Sessions
- Quantitative Research in Medical Education
OPD’s Explainer Videos provide faculty with a concise overview of a topic or concept in medical education. Using animation as the medium, our Explainer Videos focus on presenting concepts in an easy-to-access and engaging format.
- How to Design MCQs (3:27)
- Capturing the Conversation: The Clinic eCard in Clerkship (3:29)
- Giving Effective Feedback (3:51)
- The Microskills Model of Clinical Teaching (One Minute Preceptor) (4:23)
- EPAs - Clinic e-Cards with T-Res (49:11)
- Entrustable Professional Activities (EPAs) (3:11)
Certificate in Medical Teaching
This ten-month graduate course (MED6100) includes monthly, scheduled seminars which will be supplemented by readings and online learning activities. Participants will also be expected to complete a self-directed Medical Education Project. Topics, course goals and admission requirements can be found in the certificate in Medical Teaching flyer.
CITL - Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning
CITL provide instructional staff members, graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, per course instructors and faculty members with an opportunity to investigate matters related to teaching and learning, reflect on their teaching practice, and share and discuss ideas about best practices in teaching with educators from across the university. Through a variety of delivery strategies and multiple integrated sessions participants will explore and develop valuable tools and techniques to enhance their teaching practice.
The programs and professional development activities provided by CITL include:
- Teaching Skills Enhancement Program (TSEP)
- Professional Development Experiences for Educators
- Teaching Consultations
Health Sciences Library Workshops
The Health Sciences Library offers the Health Information Teaching Series (HITS). These workshops provide opportunities for faculty members to learn about library resources, tools for research, publishing and more. For more information, a list of offered workshops and how to register, view the HITS website.