Division of Community Health and Humanities

When is the deadline for applications?
Applications are due on January 15th for the year of admission (i.e. January 15th, 2021 for a Fall 2021 start date).

I missed the application deadline. Can you please consider my application?
The January 15th deadline is absolute. All application materials must be submitted in full by the application deadline. We will not consider late applications. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all application materials (including references) are submitted by the deadline. Please check your application regularly for completeness.

Is my undergraduate degree acceptable for consideration?
There are no specific undergraduate degree requirements (other than having an undergraduate statistics course) for admission into the program. That being said, having an undergraduate degree based in biological or health sciences, health administration, or social science is recommended.

I have MBBS \ BMBS \ DDS \ BDS. Am I eligible to apply?
We recognize medical credentials from accredited foreign medical and dental programs.

The grading system in my country differs from the Canadian system. How can I determine if I meet the minimal GPA requirement?
Memorial University of Newfoundland uses the World Education Services (WES) as a guide for grade equivalencies. We try our best to estimate grade equivalencies based on the information provided there, but not all schools in a given country follow the grade equivalencies stated on the site. The best practice is to ensure that your academic transcript includes a grade equivalency table for all transcripts being submitted.

My degree was only graded on a Pass / Fail grading system. How can I ensure that I meet the minimal GPA requirements of the program?
We recognize that some international medical and dental schools use a Pass / Fail grading system. We consider a "Pass" to have met the minimal GPA admission requirement. Unfortunately, these grading systems do not provide us with a means to compare to other applicants. In these situations the application is scored more heavily on other aspects considered in the application process (e.g. statement of interest, leadership, and volunteer experience).

Will you look at my transcripts to see if I am eligible for the program or if I will do well in the application competition?
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we cannot provide feedback on individual's transcripts and grades.

One of my referees has not submitted a reference by the deadline. Can my application be considered for admission?
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all application materials have been submitted by the deadline. Applications with only one reference will be considered incomplete and not reviewed. Please ensure that you have the correct email address for your referee. Check regularly to ensure that all application materials have been submitted. Follow up with your referee if they have not submitted a reference form.

Can my referee submit a letter rather than the form provided by MUN?
We do accept reference letters that are provided in free form, but it is much preferred that referees use the provided form.

Can I submit two references that are considered professional?
You should include at least one academic reference in your application package. This referee should be able to speak towards your academic abilities. In exceptional circumstances, where an applicant has been out of academic studies for a long period of time (e.g. 10 years), two professional references may be considered. In these situations, it is best to contact chh.gradinquiries@med.mun.ca.
Am I required to have completed an undergraduate statistics course? How do I know if the course I have taken is appropriate?
An undergraduate statistics course is required for admission into the program. Please ensure that you have stated which course you are using as your statistics course in the "Prerequisites" section of the application. Failure to do so may flag your application as incomplete, and thus not be reviewed.

If you are uncertain whether the course you have taken counts as an undergraduate statistics course, please email the details of the course along with a copy of the course syllabus to chh.gradinquiries@med.mun.ca and it will be evaluated for applicability. If your course has "statistics" or "biostatistics" in the title, then it is safe to assume that it is applicable.

Do I have to have a specific grade in my undergraduate statistics course?
No. As long as you have passed the course, we will consider the admission requirement met.

I did statistics as part of my medical / dental degree, but it is not listed as a specific course. Am I still eligible to apply?
Yes. We consider students who have completed a medical (MD) or dental (DDS) degree to have had biostatistics as part of their degree program.

I completed a statistics course in Coursera \ Udemy \ EdX. Can I use this for my undergraduate statistics course requirement?
We currently do not accept certificates from online courses like Coursera \ Udemy \ EdX to count as an undergraduate statistics course.
The language of instruction at my institution was English. Do I need to provide evidence of English proficiency?
For undergraduate and graduate programs from Canada, the United States of America, and the United Kingdom, there is no need to provide evidence of English proficiency. If the language of instruction at your institution was English, the university should be able to provide a letter stating this, and this will be considered acceptable.

What tests of English proficiency are acceptable for admission? What scores do I need on test 'X'?
Information on acceptable tests of English proficiency can be found on the School of Graduate Studies website.

Do I need to provide the scores for my test of English proficiency when I apply?
Yes. Applications missing a test of English proficiency or a letter stating that the language of instruction at their institution was English will be considered incomplete.

Do I need to identify a supervisor when applying?
You do not need to identify a supervisor for the Master of Public Health program. A supervisor/advisor will be assigned to you when you start the program.
  • I cannot login to the application system/I forgot my password to get into the application system.
  • My referees said they sent in their forms, but I am not seeing it in my application.
  • I cannot find the Master of Public Health program on the application form.
  • I upload a file but I cannot see it in my application.
Issues related to the application system can be directed to the School of Graduate Studies. We do not have any control over the application software to resolve these issues.
Are there scholarships or Awards to offset the tuition costs?
There are no entrance scholarships or awards available to assist with offsetting the cost of tuition for the program.

How long does it take to complete the program?
The Master of Public Health program can be completed in 3 semesters if studying on a full-time basis. The first 2 semesters involve taking 5 courses and a seminar course in each term. The final semester involves a practicum placement.

If students elect to complete the program on a part-time basis, it can take up to 4 or 5 years to complete the program depending on the number of courses being taken at a given time.

How much is the tuition and ancillary fees for the program?
Information on the cost of tuition and ancillary fees can be found on the Master of Public Health program page of our website. This page also includes information related to living costs for St. John's, NL.

On what date does the program start?
New students are admitted into the fall term of the new academic year. The start date for any given year can be found in the University Diary (please see the links on the right-hand side of the page for the specific academic year).

Can I do the program completely online?
Many of the courses in the Master of Public Health program are offered online in addition to the in-class offerings. A course may be delivered asynchronously (no associated class time) or remotely (lectures / classes are online, but you are required to show up on a specific day and time). Not all courses will be offered online every year. As such, we recommend that students planning to take the program on a full-time basis do not attempt to do the program online. Some residency in Newfoundland and Labrador is required to complete the program full-time in 1 year.

When will I know the results of my application?
The Master of Public Health program receives a large volume of applications every year (roughly 400-500 applications). It takes some time for initial processing of the applications. Review of the applications occurs in late February and early March. Notification of application results are typically sent out at the end of March and into April.

Can I defer my admission to the following year?
We do not allow admission deferrals to subsequent years, except in situations where there have been documented delays in obtaining a student visa. In these cases, a deferral to the winter semester will be considered, but this can result in it taking more than a year to complete the program.

My application was declined. Can you provide a review on how my application can be improved?
Unfortunately due to the volume of applications and the number of reviewers involved, it is not possible for us to provide a review of the application decision, or provide feedback on how an application can be improved.

My application was declined due to it being incomplete. Everything is now there. Can I be reconsidered?
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all application materials (including reference letters) are in by the application deadline (January 15th). Applications deemed incomplete at the deadline will not be re-evaluated.

My application was declined. Can I be reconsidered for next year's application competition?
Applications will not be permitted to be 'held' for consideration in the next application cycle, except in exceptional circumstances and with highly competitive applicants. This is at the discretion of the Master of Public Health program Coordinator. Applications will have to be submitted as new applications for subsequent application cycles.
Further inquiries can be addressed to chh.gradinquiries@med.mun.ca.