The Discipline of Surgery is establishing a fund for resident surgical research in honour of the late orthopedic surgeon Dr. Ted Shapter.
Born on Bell Island, Conception Bay, in 1927, Ted Shapter was educated at St. Bonaventure’s College in St. John’s and did pre-med studies at Memorial University. He graduated from Dalhouse Medical School in 1951 and for a short time practiced in the outpatient services of the General Hospital while working with the Department of Health. In 1951 he went to Gander where practiced for three years. He returned to St. John’s to do a residency in pathology and general surgery.
After two years in orthopedic training at McGill University, Dr. Shapter returned to practice in St. John’s. He became immediately involved with children’s rehabilitation and managed to create a children’s rehabititation centre where he was medical director until1 968. He became chief of the Division of Orthopedics in 1963 and was instrumental in organizing and expanding the orthopedic service.
Dr. F.B. Maroun, Surgery, said Dr. Shapter’s contribution to orthopedics was immense. “Besides the recruitment of orthopedic surgeons and the responsibility for their training, he pioneered the treatment of scoliosis with special instrumentation, cervical discectomy and total replacement.”
Dr. Shapter also developed a drop foot brace and osteotomy of the pelvis for treatment of scoliosis. He was instrumental in promoting lumbar fusion and pioneered percutaneous treatment of lumbar disc disease while in Gander. One of his great achievements was the eradication of spinal tuberculosis in the province.
Dr. Bill Pollett, chair of the Discipline of Surgery, described Dr. Shapter as “an unforgettable character who made enormous contributions to orthopedic surgery, surgical education and hospital administration in this province.”
You can support this fund with a tax-deductible gift marked to the Dr. Ted Shapter Fund. Please send to: