PhD in Computer Science
eHealth Research Unit
eHealth Research Unit
Faculty of Medicine
Memorial University of Newfoundland
Room 1780, Health Sciences Centre
300 Prince Philip Drive, St. John’s, NL A1B 3V6
Tel: 709-777-8607 Fax: 709-777-8838
Saeed Samet is a member of the Faculty of Medicine as an Assistant Professor at the e-Health Research Unit at the discipline of Family Medicine from March 2012. He is also cross-appointed to the Department of Computer Science.
Prior to that, he was a Post-Doctoral Fellow at the e-Health Information Laboratory at the Children Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute (CHEO-RI) from 2010 to 2012. During his post-doc fellowship he designed and developed several secure protocols for various health applications. He received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from the University of Ottawa in 2010 and his thesis was in Privacy-Preserving Data Mining, in which he has proposed and designed different protocols on privacy-preserving methods for standard data mining and machine learning techniques.
• Khaled El Emam, Luk Arbuckle, Aleks Essex, Saeed Samet, Ben Eze, Grant Middleton, David Buckeridge, Elizabeth jonker, Ester Moher, Craig Earle. Secure Surveillance of Antimicrobial Resistant Organism Colonization in Ontario Long Term Care Homes. PLOS ONE, April 2014. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0093285.
• Saeed Samet, Ali Miri. and Eric Granger. Incremental learning of privacy-preserving Bayesian networks. Applied Soft Computing Journal, Volume 13, Issue 8, 2013, pp. 3657-3667.(Link)
• Saeed Samet and Ali Miri. New Incremental Privacy-Preserving Clustering Protocols. Lecture Notes on Software Engineering (LNSE), Volume 1, Issue 3, August 2013, pages 244-248, ISSN: 2301-3559.(Link)
• Saeed Samet and Ali Miri. Privacy-Preserving Back-Propagation and Extreme Learning Machine Algorithms. Journal of Data & Knowledge Engineering. Volume 79-80, September-October 2012, pages 40-61. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.datak.2012.06.001. (Link)
• Khaled El Emam, Saeed Samet, Jun Hu, Liam Peyton, Craig Earle, Gayatri C. Jayaraman, Tom Wong, Murat Kantarcioglu, Fida Dankar, and Aleksander Essex. A Protocol for the Secure Linking of Registries for HPV Surveillance. PLoS ONE, 2012, Volume 7, Issue 7, e39915. (Link)
• Khaled El Emam, Saeed Samet, Luk Arbuckle, Robyn Tamblyn, Craig Earle, and Murat Kantarcioglu. A Secure Distributed Logistic Regression Protocol for the Detection of Rare Adverse Drug Events. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA), 2012. doi:10.1136/amiajnl-2011-000735. (Link)
• Khaled El Emam, Jun Hu, Jay Mercer, Liam Peyton, Murat Kantarcioglu, Bradley Malin, David Buckeridge, Saeed Samet, and Craig Earle. A secure protocol for protecting the identity of providers when disclosing data for disease surveillance. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA), 2011, Volume 18, Issue 3, pp. 212-217. (Link)
• Khaled El Emam, Hanna Farah, Saeed Samet, Aleks Essex, Elizabeth Jonker, Murat Kantarcioglu, Craig Earle. A Privacy Preserving Protocol for Tracking Participants in Phase I Clinical Trials. Submitted to Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association (JAMIA), April 2012.
• Saeed Samet, Khaled El Emam, and Luk Arbuckle. Secure Survey Platform. In Progress.
• Saeed Samet and Ali Miri. New Incremental Privacy-Preserving Clustering Protocols. In Proceeding of The 2013 2nd International Conference on Software and Computer Applications (ICSCA 2013). Paris, France, June 1-2, 2013, pp. 244-248.
• Saeed Samet, and Ali Miri. Privacy-Preserving Bayesian Network for Horizontally Partitioned Data. In Proceeding of the 2009 IEEE International Conference on Information Privacy, Security, Risk and Trust (PASSAT2009). Vancouver, Canada, August 29-31, 2009, pp. 9-16. (Link)
• Saeed Samet, and Ali Miri. Secure two and multi-party association rule mining. In Proceeding of the 2009 IEEE Symposium: Computational Intelligence for Security and Defence Applications (CISDA2009). Ottawa, Canada, July 8-10, 2009, pp. 297-302. (Link)
• Saeed Samet, and Ali Miri. Privacy-Preserving Protocols for Perceptron Learning Algorithm in Neural Networks. In Proceeding of The 4th IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Systems (IS’08), Varna, Bulgaria, September 2008, pp. 10-65 – 10-70. (Link)
• Saeed Samet, and Ali Miri. Privacy-Preserving Classification and Clustering Using Secure Multi-Party Computation. In Proceeding of The International Conference on Relations, Orders and Graphs: Interaction with Computer Science (ROGICS'08), Mahdia, Tunisia, May 2008. (Link)
• Saeed Samet, and Ali Miri. Privacy Preserving ID3 using Gini Index over Horizontally Partitioned Data. In Proceeding of The 6th ACS/IEEE International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications (AICCSA), Doha, Qatar, April 2008, pp. 645 – 651. (Link)
• Saeed Samet, Ali Miri, and Luis Orozco Barbosa. Privacy Preserving k-means Clustering in Multi-party Environment. In Proceeding of the International Conference on Security and Cryptography (SECRYPT), Barcelona, Spain, July 2007, pp. 381 – 385. (Link)
• Saeed Samet. Secure Computation of Statistical Analysis Methods. Invited talk at the Workshop and Symposium on Data Mining, Statistical Society of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada, Spring 2010.
• Saeed Samet, Ali Miri. Privacy-Preserving Bayesian Network for Horizontally Partitioned Data. Poster Presentation, University of Ottawa, Canada, February 2009.
• Khaled El Emam, Saeed Samet, and Craig Earle. Secure Logistic Regression and Survival Analysis of Horizontally Partitioned Data in Pharmacovigilance. 3rd North American Congress of Epidemiology. Montreal, Canada, June 2011.
• Saeed Samet, Khaled El Emam, and Craig Earle. A Protocol for Secure Computation. Poster presentation. Data Users Conference 2010: Understanding Health Outcomes. Ottawa, Canada, September 2010.
• Stephen Downes, Luc Belliveau, Saeed Samet, Md. Abdur Rahman, and Rodrigue Savoie. Managing Digital Rights Using JSON. 6th IEEE International Workshop on Digital Rights Management. Las Vegas, USA, January 9-12, 2010.
• Saeed Samet. Privacy Preserving Data Mining. Invited talk at CMS Winter Meeting 2008, Ottawa, Canada, December 2008.